These were the most popular posts on this site in December 2018:
1. Fake science by DFO - Riddell Response: http://fishfarmnews.blogspot.com/2018/11/fake-science-by-dfo-riddell-response.html. Just one of many posts on this site that shows that DFO, in Ottawa, uses fake processes/science to keep fish farms in the water, when everyone else wants them on land. My response is that if DFO wants fish farms in the water, then they should put one in the Rideau Canal in the centre of Ottawa and see how long it is before everyone in Ottawa hates them.
2. 260 On-land Fish Farm Systems. This is a perennial favourite on this site: http://fishfarmnews.blogspot.com/2016/05/152-different-on-land-fish-farm-systems.html. It has papers, studies, economic analysis for the first half of the post, and about half way down, the on-land farms list starts.
3. 4000 Problems in 3 Years - No Problems in BC??? http://fishfarmnews.blogspot.com/2018/12/4000-problems-in-3-years-no-problems-in.html. The fish farm trade ass in Atlantic Canada, less than a week after Cermaq and Marine Harvest sort of agreed to take some fish farms out of the Broughton Archipelago in BC, says there are no problems in BC and none in Atlantic Canada. I point out that my BAD NEWS BITES posts, now ten of them, have piled up 4,000 problems in the global fish farm/seafood industry press in the past three years. In other words, the trade ass is fibbing.
4. John Horgan Closes 10 Fish Farms!!!: http://fishfarmnews.blogspot.com/2018/12/john-horgan-closes-10-fish-farms.html.This is a blow by blow account of the hour long Global TV video of the Broughton announcement of taking some fish farms out of the water. This sounds good, but I'll believe it when it happens.
5. Ministers against Environment - Popham, Wilkinson, Horgan, Trudeau: http://fishfarmnews.blogspot.com/2018/12/ministers-against-environment-popham.html. Here is one where the Agriculture Ministers stand up and agree on an Aquaculture Act at the federal level. This is the kind of post that makes me doubtful that anything will happen in BC with fish farms being put on land. The point is, why make an Aqua Act, if you are serious about putting fish farms on land?
6. Good News Post - Links to On-land, Closed Containment, Papers, Studies, the on land news in the global press: http://fishfarmnews.blogspot.com/2018/11/links-to-on-land-closed-containment.html. There is now so much news in the global press on a daily basis that I decided to start a post.
7. Southern Resident Killer Whales - Sport Fishers and ENGOs: http://fishfarmnews.blogspot.com/2018/11/southern-resident-killer-whales-sport.html.
8. Toxic Sea Lice Chemicals - Norway is a Disaster Zone, Add Scotland: http://fishfarmnews.blogspot.com/2018/09/toxic-sea-lice-chemicals-norway-is.html. This one has had thousands and thousands of pageviews, particularly from Norway.
If you are looking for a good book on the fish farm industry and our relation with salmon, pick up Martin Lee Mueller's book: Being Salmon Being Human, from Chelsea Press, VT, USA: https://www.chelseagreen.com/product/being-salmon-being-human/.
This book should become a touchstone book much in the same way that Rachel Carson's A Silent Spring was in the 1960s, that started the environmental movement and lead to banning pesticides with chlorine and phorsphorus in them like DDT, PCBs, Dioxins, Furans and so on. Currently fish farms are using new chemicals (and a few old ones, most with chlorine/phosphorous) and claiming they are no problem. Read Mueller's book for a learned take on this issue, along with poetic passages on being salmon, being human - and why it matters that we retain our connection. Then read post 8 above on the Toxic Disaster in Norway.