I am at my eighth post. In little more than two years, I have found 2500 BAD NEWS BITES. Some days I am stunned by the amount of bad news in the fish farm/seafood industry. Find the fifth BAD NEWS BITES post here: http://fishfarmnews.blogspot.ca/2017/05/bad-news-bites-fifth-post.html. And that reaches 2,000.
This is the link to the fourth post, Jan 14, 2017, it has 500 BAD NEWS BITES in it: http://fishfarmnews.blogspot.ca/2017/01/bad-news-bites.html. it has links to the previous three posts since July 2015. You can find earlier ones at these links.
Here is a summary of the bad news stories:
"In one mouthful, here are the kind of stories I am finding: boom bust industry, billions made and lost, crisis in lice and disease, bankruptcy, workers fired, executives jumping company to company, dividing big bonuses, fraud, corruption, litigation, conflict of interest with government and scientists, using the ocean as a free open sewer – $10.4 Billion in BC alone, killing of whales, seals and sea lions – more than 12,000 in BC so far, slavery, unpaid labour, taxpayers paying millions for diseased, dead fish – $177 Million in Canada, dueling scientists, weakening of laws, unsustainable feed, illegal fishing, jail sentences, disasters in Norway, Scotland, Chile, Canada, bullying of scientists, governments and anyone critical of their business, cartels, collusion, price fixing, fishing down the food chain to Antarctic krill, carcinogens and persistent organic pollutants, fluoroquinolones, chicken feathers in feed, animal feces in feed, eutrophication in a time of global warming, Malachite Green fungicide in USA seafood, fake industry awards, all the wild salmon in the Pacific ocean, more than a billion, put in peril... it goes on."
Update, Dec 11, 2017: I have found 500 BAD NEWS BITES in less than 3.5 months. That means well over 1000 in a year. That is how much bad news there is in fish farms/seafood industry. This post, the sixth, may be found here: http://fishfarmnews.blogspot.ca/2017/08/bad-news-bites-salmonseafood-industry.html.
Here are the BAD NEWS BITES leading from the most recent post:
177. Cooke 'Pleads' to Keep Farms - WA: https://www.undercurrentnews.com/2018/01/19/committee-hears-cooke-pleas-on-protecting-salmon-farming/?utm_source=Undercurrent+News+Alerts&utm_campaign=6a1c6d7fd6-Salmon_roundup_Jan_19_2018&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_feb55e2e23-6a1c6d7fd6-92426209.
176. Minister Against Cooke Critics - : http://www.seafoodnews.com/Story/1089456/NS%2DFisheries%2DMinister%2DDismisses%2DCritics%2Dof%2DCooke%2DAquaculture.
175. Cooke Case Heard - WA, Cooke pleads for $$$: https://www.undercurrentnews.com/2018/01/19/committee-hears-cooke-pleas-on-protecting-salmon-farming/?utm_source=Undercurrent+News+Alerts&utm_campaign=6818683090-Americas_briefing_Jan_19_2018&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_feb55e2e23-6818683090-92426209.
174. Boom - Iceland, Fiskeldi Austfjarda, to increase salmon by 37,000mt: https://www.undercurrentnews.com/2018/01/19/iceland-salmon-farmer-applies-for-10000t-expansion-eyes-sterility-tech/?utm_source=Undercurrent+News+Alerts&utm_campaign=6818683090-Americas_briefing_Jan_19_2018&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_feb55e2e23-6818683090-92426209.
173. Dumping Tariff Update - USA, pangasius dumping, Vietneam: https://www.undercurrentnews.com/2018/01/19/date-set-for-review-of-us-proposed-blanket-tariff-on-vietnam-pangasius/?utm_source=Undercurrent+News+Alerts&utm_campaign=1c20585cbe-Europe_briefing_Jan_22_2018&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_feb55e2e23-1c20585cbe-92426209.
172. Massive Escape - yellowtail, Australia: http://www.intrafish.com/aquaculture/1415798/massive-yellowtail-escape-at-australian-farm?utm_source=IntraFish+Aquaculture+Newsletter&utm_campaign=a5233bb760-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_01_22&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ec4b681694-a5233bb760-244877629.
171. Fire Fisheries Minister - NS, over Jordan Bay farm collapse: http://www.seafoodnews.com/Story/1089635/Aquaculture%2DOpponents%2Din%2DNova%2DScotia%2DCall%2Dfor%2DFisheries%2DMinister%2Dto%2Dbe%2DFired.
170. Disease - IHN studied in WA: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1577/1548-8640%281972%2934%5B143%3ASFIHNI%5D2.0.CO%3B2?needAccess=true&journalCode=uzpf20.
169. Vaccines Don't Save Fish - CDN research: https://www.undercurrentnews.com/2018/01/22/study-claims-vaccines-not-protecting-farmed-fish-from-disease/?utm_source=Undercurrent+News+Alerts&utm_campaign=b0bbb9e51e-Europe_briefing_Jan_23_2018&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_feb55e2e23-b0bbb9e51e-92426209.
168. Bust - scrapped Dongwong vessel leads to $11M loss: https://www.undercurrentnews.com/2018/01/22/scrapped-dongwon-linked-vessel-leaves-11m-debt-in-its-wake/?utm_source=Undercurrent+News+Alerts&utm_campaign=b0bbb9e51e-Europe_briefing_Jan_23_2018&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_feb55e2e23-b0bbb9e51e-92426209.
167. Eviction Notice - Aboriginals hand Marine Harvest another eviction notice: https://www.undercurrentnews.com/2018/01/23/bc-first-nations-hand-marine-harvest-another-eviction-notice/?utm_source=Undercurrent+News+Alerts&utm_campaign=b7a72edc4b-Americas_briefing_Jan_23_2018&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_feb55e2e23-b7a72edc4b-92426209.
166. Price Fixing - Sysco and US Foods joins the legal battle of the thrre biggies for tuna price fixing: https://www.undercurrentnews.com/2018/01/23/broadliners-sysco-us-foods-join-in-lawsuits-alleging-tuna-price-fixing/?utm_source=Undercurrent+News+Alerts&utm_campaign=b7a72edc4b-Americas_briefing_Jan_23_2018&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_feb55e2e23-b7a72edc4b-92426209.